[interview] 210722 ELLE Korea Aug 2021 Issue

(Photo Credit: Elle Korea, August 2021)



Upcoming August 8th, BLACKPINK's 5th anniversary is coming up, there’s a lot of talks about 4+1 Project. Releasing photo book, movie <BLACKPINK the Movie>, What else are you preparing for besides that? There is also a rumor that the reason you went to LA with Rosé together was because of this project.


There are so many things that I can't tell you yet, but I'm sure you can look forward to it. We're preparing hard to thank BLINKs who are always with us. It's been so long since we met in person, so I really miss them. I'd be more than happy if the people who love us like this project.



F/W Chanel Ready to Wear 2021/22 Show, you wore today was full of Rock’n Roll mood. As a musician, is it still interesting for Jennie to unravel the relationship between music and fashion? 


I always try to convey the message of music not only audibly but also visually. And when it comes to embody visuals, fashion is always a big help. I think when the story that unveiled by melody is come together with the styling, it delivers different kind of fun and charm. I tend to put a lot of thought into this, about how to make a stronger impression on the viewers, so that's why the process of preparing for the stage is as meaningful and fun as being on the stage



After watching the show via online, you also had a video call with Caroline de Maigret.  Are the people there also among the reasons why Jennie misses Paris? 


I wanted to meet and greet them in person, but I was sad I couldn't. I miss the intense energy and sense of vividness that Fashion Week gives me. I was inspired and learned new things every time In the process of meeting and communicating with various people there. I really miss each and every one.



It’s great that you get inspiration from the process of communication. Do you have people around you who you trust and work with? What do you gain the most from the process of working together with them?


Definitely an idea. There are many times when I get perspectives that I would not have thought of on my own through the people around me. It's meaningful for me,  the process of working and putting heads together with good people. It becomes a good experience and a lesson for me.



(Photo Credit: Elle Korea, August 2021)


Is there Jennie’s own rule when using COCO CRUSH as a fashion item? Like you want to try gold than silver when you're in certain mood. 


I sometimes choose between silver and gold depending on my day to day mood, but I enjoy layering silver and gold items these days. Those two colors give very different vibe, so it has more emphasis when you match them together.



We can't leave out talk about BLACKPINK's live stream concert <The Show> which was released on DVD recently. There must have been parts where the stage direction and camera walking were more free than off-line concert. 


As it was our first online concert we tried, preparation period was longer than any other concert. To capture the sense of liveliness, we continued to share our opinions with the staffs and focus on our each and every movement while practicing. It may leave some regrets like “What if I have done it like this?” but it was a proud and enjoyable experience just to be able to show to BLINKs a new side of us.




There was also remix stage of SOLO which was released in 2018, as one of new side of you. New rap part “W, no L's, covered W and Elle, and there's none left on the shelf” was also nice.


Thank you. It’s been a while since I’ve done SOLO stage, I wanted to show a new side of me in every aspects, including styling and performance, etc. It is a stage that I paid a lot of attention to deliver the new story of the song, so I came up with ideas for the stage, lyrics, arrangement, costumes, choreography one by one.


(Photo Credit: Elle Korea, August 2021)

The summer we met for a cover shoot was 2 years ago, right after you returned from world tour. I still remember Jennie’s "There are many more beautiful and mysterious places in the world than I imagined." Now that you're spending a long time in Korea, is there any newly beauty you've found?


Because the weather is nice these days, Han River is so pretty. It makes me feel comfortable when I take a walk with my dogs and watch the shining Han River under the sunlight. Taking a walk with the dogs and watching the Han River while enjoying the soft breeze, looking at glistening Han river in the sunlight makes me feel comfortable. 



It's obvious that you’re an outstanding performer. Still, have you ever been surprised to see yourself on stage later? Moment like “How did I do that gesture?”


Yes! Sometimes I find myself new and amazing to see myself on stage. (Laughs) When I look back on my eye expression and facial expressions after time passed, I can see how much I am immersed in that moment. It makes me happy during monitoring. I can feel again how I felt at that time, how I communicated with the people who watching the performance.



It's not easy for anyone to move forward with confidence in their own judgment and intuition. Have you ever had doubt or shaken by your own decision?


When I have worries, I also talk with my friends and ask for an advice. I am so grateful to have good people around me who always give me strength. Since I have to take responsibility for my own decision, I tend to trust my 'sense' and judgment and move forward on my own. Nevertheless, when thoughts are back to back, I organize my thoughts and mind before I go to bed. It's about finding peace of mind.



(Photo Credit: Elle Korea, August 2021)

Getting curious about Jennie’s bedroom where looking for peace of mind. Is there something you always prepare for a good night sleep?


A comfortable environment that fits me is essential for a good night sleep. Water, heating pads, sleeping mask, comfy pillow, lip balm...too many? (Laughs) And after relaxing my body with a massage ball or zen ring, I’m heading to the bed. If you warm up your stiff body before you going to bed, you can sleep much more comfortably and will be able to maintain better condition even if you wake up early in the next morning.



Everyone has ups and downs in life. What does Jennie say to someone who is having a hard time? People also advise others in a way they want to be comforted.


I don't think there's better comfort than just listening. So I try to listen to others well. Another important thing is to make the other person feel comfortable enough to trust me as much they can share their worries without hesitation.



Is there anything you would like to compliment yourself, or want to tell yourself like ‘You are doing good’?


That I'm trying to take good care of my body. I think I've been more careful and take care of myself since I injured my ankle. I'm regularly doing pilates so that I don't get sick or injured. I always want to show my best, healthy self.



On <24/635>, you once said that you want to go back to the past and live in there. Which era, what kind of place you would like to be? 


That's a difficult question. Because if it's an era I've never been lived, I think it'll be fun regardless of time and place. But if I have to choose just one, I'd go with Paris. I want to live in 60's and 70's Paris.


#제니 #블랙핑크 #JENNIE #JENNIEKIM #ElleKorea #interview #2021