[interview] 211210 DAZED Korea Holiday Edition Issue

THE INVINCIBLE JENNIE 

We've missed the complete, perfect and invincible JENNIE 



In 2021, I really wanted to see Jennie before this year ends. To what extent it was, I hoped and hoped, so much that we decided to make another issue of Dazed, a holiday edition, to meet Jennie. We've prepared this project almost half a year ago, so maybe that's why I was looking forward to the end of the year unlike any other year. Because I could see Jennie at the end of the year. 

The reason why I missed Jennie so much is because Jennie is Jennie and she's also the person who can showcase Dazed the most appropriately. If I have to add another reason, it's because I didn't want to break the two-year rule. We've met in April 2017 issue which is Jennie's first cover, and April 2019 issue, two years apart, and there was a this certain resolution that we have to fill that gap before 2021 ends. In other words, Jennie is the most suitable person for Dazed, so I have a sense of duty as an editor of Dazed, to record her and show it to the reader at least once for every two years.

I can't forget my first meeting with Jennie in 2017. As soon as I saw Jennie coming into the studio, wearing a grunge leopard jumper, I remember talking to myself, ‘she's really something else’. The light that comes out of from her, beyond the 'cool' that includes words “pretty”, and the fashion DNA that can not be hidden... Jennie's aura, which can not be defined by certain single modifier, breathes vividly.


When do you think you want to you’ll be completed and what do you think it will look like? 


“I am a perfectionist so I tend to be strict with myself. I don't think I've ever been satisfied with myself. Is there such a thing as perfection in the world? It seems like repetition of finding faults and improving them.”




After finishing her first solo photoshoot and interview, Jennie concluded like this.  That’s when I realized that the path Jennie takes is in line with the path I have to take as an editor of Dazed 


“It's been two years”  Jennie who has grown up so much, stood in front of us. With her clear and beautiful soul, and an addition to the love of Blink from around the world and professional experience,  Jennie became truly an invincible Jennie.  At the end of the interview, we asked her the same question once more.



Do you remember the last question we asked when we met two years ago? Let me ask you that again. Is Jennie complete now?


“My personality is kind of like that. I don't know satisfaction. There are still many things I want to do, and I feel like I’m not being fully fulfilled. So that's why I’m always yearning for something. If I'm satisfied with myself, I feel like I might stop there. I don’t want perfection.”



To Jennie who doesn't want to be complete, we had a third meeting that we don't have to ask same question anymore. In 2021, two years passed with the world was closed, I felt an infinitely overwhelming feeling while filming with Jennie who became the most global being in the meantime.

To became an unrivaled, irreplaceable being. Enough to be recognized by the whole universe beyond the world. Jennie who doesn't need any other modifiers, JENNIE, to be able to exist by Jennie herself. As I’m facing those moments vividly, I constantly reminded myself that not to miss a single moment, a word, a single movement. Because as soon as we began to shooting first cut, I realized that this scene of her with us today would be an incredibly important record in the future...

I repeatedly said “You're the best, The best!” to her as she’s getting in a car after finishing filming, (even with my thumbs up) and that made me feel really embarrassing.  I’d like to correct that via this page, ’Thank you’ is more appropriate. Thank you for being able to capture the result made by Jennie's intelligence, instinct and effort in Dazed, Thank you,  Sincerely,  Hope to see you again... I promise to prepare harder next time. 


Jennie is the most symbolic figure in Dazed. It seems like yesterday that we did the first cover together then you posted a picture of your first cover you took at the bookstore, and it’s already our third cover. Can you tell us about certain affection you have for Dazed while celebrating the end of 2021.

Wrapping up the year is just as important as the beginning of the new year. I am very happy to wrap up 2021 with Dazed.


This time, we wanted to capture free and iconic Jennie, enough to be called the 'Jennie Edition'. There were various sets too. 

Each set had a different atmosphere, and I also went into shooting by changing various mood for each set to shoot, and it was fun to be able to do various direction.


As a model for Calvin Klein's global campaign, Jennie's face is plastered on-offline all over the world. I wonder how you feel as a model of Calvin Klein Jeans & Underwear which leads innovation and breaks boundaries.

I am so happy to be working with this iconic brand, Calvin Klein. Ever since I was young, I’ve been inspired by watching every Calvin Klein campaign, and it is really an honor now to be a part of it as a campaign model myself. I couldn't see the billboard myself, but I got a lot of calls from my acquaintances, and just looking at the photos made me proud.

Jennie is truly a world-class  icon. In particular, with your every move Jennie’s fashion style has a great influence on people all over the world. I heard that so-called Jennie Style was created by studying and shopping on your own. 

I feel like my style changes every year, I think it happens naturally as I try to read the trend by constantly reading magazines and watching fashion shows. I think clothes are the one of the easiest ways to express myself depending on the mood of the day or what I was recently inspired by.


As this edition is a wrap up edition for the year, I'm curious about Jennie's thoughts on 2021  pandemic era you went through. You did digital online concert as Blackpink and worked as a campaign model for various brands. What was Jennie's best and happiest moment in 2021?

I think I tried to focus a little more on myself and have more time for myself this year. I was trying to spend this year taking care of myself well and the people around me, who I haven’t cared well when I’ve been busy. My goal was to rest as much as possible, but looking back, I realized that I was really busy. While filming global campaigns for various brands, I’ve met new people I had not usually worked with before, and every moment I worked with them is memorable. I really learned a lot things from seeing and feeling a lot through new experiences. Each of those experiences are the happiest moments of 2021.

I can't help but talk about so many Blinks all around the world. If you express your feeling for Blinks who sends you passionate support even though it's non face to face.

I think it's been a long time since I met Blinks. I'd like to meet them and say hi in person, but I'm really sorry that I can't. We can't meet up close right now, but I want to say thank you for always supporting me anytime, anywhere.

You stayed in the States for a while and came back. You were able to see friends and it seems that you also had a special Halloween too. I wonder what Jennie is doing for fun with friends, and what you’re talking about when you meet friends.

It's been a while since we met each other, so we ask each other how we are doing, and we usually talk a lot about daily lives. My friends usually share similar interests with me, so we’re talking about music, a movie we recently enjoyed, or about our pets.



If you can tell us about Jennie's plans for 2022.

I also want to show more diverse sides of myself next year. There are many new things I want to try, so I am still thinking about what to try first. I hope to have more time with Blinks in 2022.

Can you introduce the music, movie, and book that Jennie is into these days?

I listen to Adele's new album a lot these days. Lately I watched the Netflix series Hellbound and I lost track of time. The movie I recently enjoyed watching is Dune.

If you can send a message of hope to Blinks and countless people all around the world who considering Jennie as their role model. 

I think you're going through a tough time now more than anyone else. I want to tell you that you’re doing great and I am thankful that you have overcome these difficult times, you did well. 

#제니 #블랙핑크 #JENNIE #JENNIEKIM #DazedKorea #interview #2021