[interview] 220621 W Korea July 2022 Issue

 Jennie's Imagination Becomes Reality

Chanel's Ambassador Jennie, Chanel workshop collection and a pop-up store that is full of her inspirations filmed with W Korea, that is only open for one day.




'Kindness & Love"' The message that Jennie wants to convey.



<W Korea> How is Jennie's time going these days?

Jennie: I'm still busy having a hectic day. I've been preparing for the album and I’ve been working out a lot.


<W Korea> We did a cover photoshoot with the concept of a pop-up store full of Jennie's inspiration. Jennie's preferences and story telling are all over the set. Piled up dolls, Suzanne Vega's lyrics filling a wall, <Mood Indigo> playing on the TV... If you look closely, Jennie's code is hidden.

Jennie: The set was decorated of my favorite dolls, songs and movies so I had fun shooting. Especially, when I was posing with a lot of dolls, it feels like I went back to childhood, so I had a lot of fun.


<W Korea> It's your first time lying on top of so many dolls, right? If you imagine one day there's a magical event that can fill Jennie's house with something, just like our set that is full of teddy bears, what would you want it to be full of?

Jennie: If that kind of magic happens, I want to fill the house with clouds. I like clouds, and I wonder what it would feel like if I could actually touch them. Or I'd be excited to fill a corner of the room with jelly.






<W Korea> Last March, you went to the 2022 F/W Chanel show in Paris. When we met with "W" last fall through the "Coco Neige Collection" campaign, you said, "If I go to Paris again, I want to feel the romantic mood of Paris more and have a relaxing time." How was it this time?

Jennie: Paris is always romantic and has a unique atmosphere, but unfortunately, I couldn't enjoy it leisurely because the schedule was also tight. But I had a great time watching new shows and experiencing many things with Chanel.


<W Korea> You visited one of Chanel's workshops, Lesage? I heard that it is an embroidery and tweed workshop established in 1924.

Jennie: It has been a very special experience to see the work process of craftsmen with colorful patterns. It was my first time to go to the workshop in Lesage, and I could feel the heritage of the workshop. It was really impressive to see small pieces that were difficult to see with your eyes, and the craftsmen working each and every step by hand. I took a closer look at how they work. Each task was so sophisticated and the mechanism was so complicated that I was mesmerized.


<W Korea> Did you ask some questions that you are curious of?

Jennie: There was a young master craftsman from my age. I asked them when they started this job. If I go to Paris next time, I want to go to other workshops other than Lesage workshops.


<W Korea> Even if it takes a long time to complete a task, people often compare people who work with care like seamstresses to "artisans". Jennie and her members are all people who create things. What kind of inspiration did you get from the craftsmen?


Jennie: I realized once again the importance of effort and sincerity by looking at craftsmen who work delicately and precisely while working quickly and accurately. The time they devoted to familiarizing themselves with the work cannot be ignored, and such things accumulate to produce wonderful results. I remind myself that "efforts will never betray you."



<W Korea> Chanel's Workshop Collection contains not only embroidery but also detailed elements such as hats and feather decorations, as well as excellent craftsmanship. You’re seen and worn Chanel many times, but I'm sure this is your first time trying on a workshop collection with this photoshoot, how did it feel?


Jennie: I felt more emotional when I put on clothes myself after visiting the workshop. These were clothes that I thought just pretty before, but now I can see each small details of the clothes more.



<W Korea> Speaking of "artisan," it reminds me of the word "history”. What's the item that has the longest history in Jennie’s closet where there are many "new" items from every season?


Jennie: I think it's Chanel classic bag my mom first gave me for a present. It's meaningful, and it's the most familiar one to my hand, so I can't throw it away even time passes, and keeping it.


 


Jennie's playlist, Suzanne Vega's Tom's Diner






<W Korea> When I watch Jennie’s YouTube channel, it's fun to watch you doing vlog comfortably. Is there anything you're into these days?


Jennie: These days, I'm into animal videos, so I keep watching them before I go to bed or when I have time. I watch documentaries and search YouTube clips, seeing the pureness of animals makes me feel healed.



<W Korea> You’re also running another SNS account to post photos that you took yourself. They said when you look at the pictures you take, you realize that you’re someone who’s particularly attracted to a certain moment. What kind of person do you think photographer Jennie is? 


Jennie: I tend to capture natural moments. It’s about the naturalness of the moment, not directing or making up. I like recording those moments as photography.



<W Korea> I saw on SNS that you went to the Coachella Music Festival the other day. Of course, it must have been fun. (laughs)


Jennie: It's been a long time so, the stage, sound, and the energy that people give me hit me harder. I got a lot of inspiration from watching the performances by various artists.




<W Korea> Like Chanel Show, Jennie is a superstar who is often invited to special and luxurious occasions. Each time, you have a fantastic experience and get countless spotlights. On the other hand, I think the more experiences you have, the amount of emotion you may become a little duller than in the past. Is there any little effort or way to remember sense of to be touched and grateful?


Jennie: Rather than trying to make certain effort or I think there's way for that, I try to cherish every moment. Even if there are many shows and stages, not all of them are from the same moment. There’s only one moment. I tend to cherish that and remember. 








<W Korea> What kind of compliments make you feel better?


Jennie: I think compliments of any kind are all pleasant things to be honest. Still, it makes me feel the happiest when someone acknowledges and recognizes my efforts.



<W Korea> When you make important choices in life, do you tend to believe in your feelings and judgments or listen to opinions from people around you?


Jennie: If I have to choose, I tend to trust my feelings and judgments more. I ask for opinions from people around me and listen to advice a lot, but I tend to express my thought rather than following others' opinions.



<W Korea> If the circumstance is in all set, is there a work you really want to do or a dream performance that you imagine?


Jennie: I want to perform with BLINK from all over the world. In reality, it will be difficult, but it will be very touching when we all get together.






<W Korea> The longer-than-expected pandemic is really coming to an end. There are a lot of things you haven't done in two years. Is there anything you want to do in the future?

Jennie: I want to do photo shoots in various places overseas. The atmosphere and impression of each country and city are different, so I think it would be nice to work with various concepts in various countries.

<W Korea> Lastly... Is there anything you want to say to your fans these days?


Jennie: Thank you for waiting for us for a long time. We'll see you soon!


#제니 #블랙핑크 #JENNIE #JENNIEKIM #BLACKPINK  #WKorea #Magazine #July2022 #Chanel #샤넬 



Source: 🔗 W Korea July 2022 Issue